|AutoFacebook Joomla! Plugin Documentation|
|Friday, 27 November 2009 16:16|
This is the Documentation for the AutoFacebook plugin:
Features and Change log
v1.0 - First release, features:
- Updates Facebook user status when new article is created or published (configurable).
- Allows publishing extra static text after or before the title.
- Allows adding link to article
Installing the AutoFacebook system plugin is pretty straight forward like most Joomla! plugins:
- Download the plugin zip file (no need to extract since Joomla! installs straight from the zip)
- Navigate to your Joomla! administration page and click "Extensions => Install/Uninstall"
- Browse to the downloaded zip file and click "Upload and Install"
Installing was easy but we are not quite there yet, a little configuration is needed to connect it to your Facebook account:
http://www.facebook.com/developers/createapp.php to create a new application.- Go to
- Enter a name for your application in the Application Name field (This could be the name of your site for example it's not relevant for the plugin).
- Accept the Developer Terms of Service, then click Save Changes.
- On the Basic tab, keep all of the defaults.
- Take note of the API Key and API Secret.
- Click the Connect tab. Set Connect URL to the top-level directory of the site where you plan to install AutoFacebook (this is usually your domain, like http://www.example.com).
- (Optional step not relevant for plugin) You can include a logo that appears on the Facebook Connect dialog. Next to Facebook Connect Logo, click Change your Facebook Connect logo and browse to an image file. The logo can be up to 99 pixels wide by 22 pixels tall, and must be in JPG, GIF, or PNG format. (Filename cannot be 'icon')
- Click Save Changes.
- Done... you have your app. Now put the API key and API secret on the plugin configuration.
- Only two more things to do, Find your Facebook User ID and give the plugin posting authorization:
- The User Id is the number that appears on the url of your photo albums, to find it go to your profile, click on your profile picture and the page you end up has a url like http://www.facebook.com/#/album.php?profile=1&id=XXXXXXXXXX where XXXXXXXXXXX is your User ID.
- To give permission to the app to change your status you need to:
- Go to your facebook homepage (login if you are not already logged in) ------>[Thanks to]
- Paste the following link into your browser address bar and visit it to give permission to the app to update your status:
Substituting [API KEY] for your API Key and [USER ID] for your user ID
http://www.facebook.com/connect/prompt_permissions.php?api_key=[API KEY]&v=1.0&next=http://www.facebook.com/connect/login_success.html?xxRESULTTOKENxx&display=popup&ext_perm=read_stream,publish_stream,offline_access&enable_profile_selector=1&profile_selector_ids=[USER ID]
note: if you try to publish a message without having permission you will get an error with this link automatically formated for your account
Thats it!! feels like a lot but it's really simple!! :)